Who am I? and How the hell did I get here...

"She who dies with the MOST SHOES WINS"

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Jet setting...

...time to fly back to NYC. (written on the plane on the way back to NYC)

Iowa will not be missed (harsh but true) - funny how that is... I have no connection to this place anymore except my Mom, Dad and Payton (my dog). Yes there are friends that I still keep in touch with in Iowa (esp. Kendra and Stef) but as I stated before Iowa is a distant memory (they are not a distant memory and they know that). There are some remnants of Iowa inbred in me, things that formed who I am - morals, values, ideologies - but do I have much in common with Iowa anymore - NO. I am no longer an Iowan (my driver's license may clearly show that I am but I am not), I think the first time I realized this was when I was in a cab last week going to Grand Central to meet a friend. The cab driver was young and flirting with me (I guess a good story for another day..). He asked if I was vacationing for the Holidays, I said yes I am flying home to Iowa to surprise my parents for Christmas. He said "Home? to Iowa? Y0u are not a New Yorker? I looked at you and assumed that you were born and raised here in NYC." I laughed - you know how much I always wanted someone to say that to me...but he made me realize that outwardly and somewhat inwardly I am completely devoid of Iowa. No longer do I exude nice little girl from the Midwest. I love that he thought I was a New Yorker through and through but I ask myself do I want to be completely devoid of Iowa? I guess at first glance I am, but I do know deep down I am not totally...the guy I was most recently dating told me that there were many things he liked about me and a few were my kindness and warm heart. But I guess you don't see that at first blush with me and I am not saying that New Yorkers are not kind and warm hearted but that is not something you see at first blush (at least w/ most of the true New Yorkers I know extremely well.)

One thing I realized, while I was at my parents house, is that I hate having nothing to do (unless I am at a beach or pool with a frosty beverage in hand) and I hate just sitting around. Yes, I can sit at my desk for 10-14 hours a day but the power of the DOLLAR is my pure motivation there. I have to be on the go, on the move, doing something, as I always am when I am home in NYC.

So anyways focusing on me....has brought me to New Years Resolutions, one's i really can achieve...
1) get back to my regular Pilate's workouts (back in shape)
2) get all my clothes put away in my room
3) hire a financial planner and get my finances straightened out
4) actually start my new job search
5) work on being a better daughter, sister, friend (and better at dating)
6) take the struggles I have faced this past year and find the lessons and actually learn from them.
7) be pickier with men in my life...

I just want to work on me and make me an all around better Karin - in every aspect of my life. (maybe that means choosing better men that I spend my time with....but some just fool you into thinking they are something they are not...*sigh*)

Anyways - NEW YEAR, NEW YORK, NEW & IMPROVED ME!!!!

Disclaimer: I can not promise that my potty mouth will get better or that I will drink less or that I will stop drinking coffee.... NO PROMISES on those at all! ;0)

1 Comments:

At Sunday, January 07, 2007 3:45:00 AM , Blogger KendiB said...

At first I was sad to read that you did not feel a connection to Iowa and that you were not an Iowa girl anymore but then I realized that you never really were an Iowa girl. I always knew you would end up in a big city like NYC. Of course, I thought it would be Boston but now I know NYC is more you. Even as we were little girls sitting in church and you were drawing evening gowns on the church program, I knew you wouldn't be in Iowa forever. I also remember how happy you were the first time we went to NYC. You were like a kid in a candy store. I think I always imagined us moving together and sharing an apartment but things change. I have realized how much I love DSM and being around my family and I look forward to visiting you in NYC. I can't imagine being happier anywhere else and I can't imagine you being happy here. I am glad that you have finally found your home because I know you have been searching for it for 28 years. I love you and your Big Apple ways. I can't wait until I can visit and you can show me the real NYC. Always your friend and your sister - KRB

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Blog tracker