Who am I? and How the hell did I get here...

"She who dies with the MOST SHOES WINS"

Sunday, December 24, 2006

I'll Be Home for Christmas...

(written on the airplane Christmas Eve flying to Iowa..)

It seems my life has taken me many places I never imagined it could at 28 years old. When I tell my "tale" to strangers, new friends, acquaintances they stare at me with amazement and they are unbelieving of the opportunities I have encountered. Do I really feel it is that amazing? NO not really...but that is partially because I have not yet achieved what I want career wise...but I know I am a lucky girl.

However, I question "What do I really want to do?" I know I could be a brilliant lawyer if I really tried and found a good job, but do I want that anymore? I have it in me, I know I do, but do I want too...Do I want to be a writer instead? Do I want to be a fashion designer instead? Maybe....just maybe...who knows...I am 28 and have 8 years of college education 3 degrees, shouldn't I know what I want to do???

Anyways, as my flight lifts off from NYC, I realize the is no other place I would rather be or live right now. Yes, I love Europe and the Netherlands, and I would go back there and live in a heartbeat, but NYC...NYC...

Again back to my tale, I have not had it bad at all - living in Salzburg, Austria, the Netherlands, Massachusetts, California, time in Greece - my life has been full of opportunities, chances and adventures - lucky I am. New York City has captured me - to its fullest. I am entranced but NYC's ever enchanting lifestyle - the people you meet, the hustle and bustle, the never ending list of new things to do. I am in love for the first time in my life and it is with New York City.

Going "home" to Iowa for Christmas on Christmas Eve to surprise my parents - made me realize that my life has been nothing BUT everything I wished, hoped and thought it could be. The things that have pranced in and out of my life during my short time thus far in NYC are nothing I could ever fathom - men, friends, circumstances, jobs, apartments - all of it has changed me. For the better or for the worse, that is only for God to judge. But on this Christmas Eve day as I fly to Iowa I am a different woman than the woman that walked through my parents door a year ago. I am more beautiful, more confident, more complicated, happier, harder, more experienced, believing less in love than ever, making 4 times more $$, more in debt, my body has changed for better and a little bit for the worse, I am older, wiser.... Is that Iowa girl still there in me? NOT sure - Iowa seems like a distant memory.

I have had things happen to me that I thought never would occur, I have made decisions I never thought I would make. I make more $$ than my parents combined but yet still live pay check to pay check... again all relating back to my blog page title "Who am I?" I am becoming a woman, building me... I know who I am, do you?

Home from Christmas... home, home, home is NYC now. But Christmas without my parents is not Christmas, thus I have embarked on this tiresome adventure to surprise them and bring them tears of joy. Between yesterday and today, I have spent 3 hours in my car driving to Massachusetts Saturday morning, 3.5 hours on a train back to NYC Saturday nite, a sleepless nite and a semi-lonely holiday weekend. So far today I spent 3 hours sitting in LaGuardia Airport and now I have at least 3 hours of plane rides ahead of me and a layover in Chicago (plus flying home to NYC late wed nite) - see this is the first year my parents were going to spend Christmas alone - so I found a fairly cheap flight and now I am off to land on their doorstep at about 7pm tonite to surprise them.

I'll be Home for Christmas...I guess home is NYC but home is also with my parents - it will be a complete and total surprise - I hope it is joyful.

Life has changed me a bit in the past few months...taken a toll on me...the twists and turns of my life have changed me BUT I am Karin.... one thing I hold true too - Is ME! I am ME, not matter what...

I"ll be home for Christmas...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Blog tracker